What does a mobile user want?
In a fast evolving short cycle mobile ecosystem, it is perhaps worthwhile to understand shifting consumer habits from the lens of a mobile ecosystem. Here are key highlights:
- Owning the ‘cool’ brand continues to be the leading purchase decision factor
- Large device size and longer battery life might be perceived as important purchase decision factor for an utilitarian consumer
- Some brands have had some level of success by marketing a high resolution camera
- Given its multi-faceted functions, tablets and smart phones are viewed as substitutes for MP3 music players, point-and-shoot cameras and navigation devices
- Increasing number of mobile consumers are connecting over Wi-Fi given the advantage of speed and reliability over cellular connections
- Tablet owners view Wi-Fi as a cost saving measure, reducing or even eliminating the need for a data plan, and reduced device costs
- High purchasing power implies consumers are willing to pay a little more for 4G (higher speeds) compared to the existing 3G connectivity
- As the mobility market matures, there is a growing expectation for native or responsive applications for the frequently used services (email, social networks, news, video etc.)
- Downward trend of application downloads and average app spending is a growing sign of a demanding and selective consumer
- Given the elementary function of making voice calls, quality of voice coverage continues to be the leading factor for carrier preference
- Quality of data coverage is an important factor, given the new trend that the consumer spends more time accessing data than voice on a smartphone
- Availability of a specific device in the plan offerings might be important for a tech savvy consumer
- Overall data, SMS and voice plan costs, and availability of family plans might be important for a utilitarian consumer
Bring Your Own Device
- Growing number of consumers want to leverage convenience of using personal device for work
- Well regulated mobile app ecosystem implies less worry for corporate IT support – good news for the mobile consumer!
Overall, with the growing number of mobile devices, services and carriers, the new age mobile consumer continues to evolve and seek better ways to unlock the potential of the mobile ecosystem.
- Deloitte: 2013 Global Mobile consumer survey